SC - colored carrots

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 29 22:25:20 PST 2001

Anahita said:
> Now i'll have to make my daughter mail them to me out here in
> California where i haven't seen any white ones, just purple, red,
> orange, and yellow.

>From previous discussions here (see my root-veg-msg file) I think
one of the things that made the 'orange' carrot a success and let
it quickly drive out the other carrots was not that it was orange,
some messages say orange carrots did exist previously, but that the
reason this particular mutation won out was that it was sweet.

Do those of you who have actually eaten these red, white, yellow
or purple carrots have any comments on the taste of these carrots?

Of course, I can also see where these colored carrots have been
cross-bred with the 'sweet' orange carrot to produce a sweet
red (for instance) carrot that wouldn't taste like the red carrot
that a medieval person might have eaten. Comments on this? Do
we know that these red, white and yellow carrots have not been
cross-bred with the sweet orange carrot?

- --
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net