SC - Brawn Question

rbutler_gg rbutler_gg at netzero.net
Wed Jan 31 01:56:24 PST 2001

    Okay, this might seem a little silly. <G>

    I saw the following quotation in the florilegium

*****
Andrew Borde's 'dyetary of Health' (1542) was published in 1870 by F.
Furnivall in the Early English Text Society's Extra Series X, pages
223-304.
Furnivall edited several other (a.o. 16th century) food texts in
'Manners and Meals in Olden Time' (1868).
In addition, there is 'The good huswifes handmaide for the kitchen'
(1594?), published by Stuart Peachey in 1992. -- In this text, before
the recipes, there is a section about the seasons, in which pheasants
are mentioned twice:
<<<
[4] To knowe the due seasons for the use of al maner of
meats throughout the yeare.
Brawn is best from the holy Rood day til Lent, and at no
other time commonlie used for service. Bacon, Beefe and
Mutton, is good at all tymes, but the woorst tyme for
Mutton is from Easter to Midsommer. A fatte yoong Pig is
never out of season. A Goose is worst at Midsommer, +
best in stubble tyme, but they be best of all when they
be young green Geese. Veale is all tymes good, but best
in Januarie and Februarie. Kidde and young Lambe is best
*******

    And, the question is thus... I recognize every meat mentioend therein,
except for the first one.  WHat is Brawn?

    Khadijah