[Sca-cooks] EK Gate at pennsic

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 06:17:15 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/3/2001 10:48:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
grizly at mindspring.com writes:

> Last year, I saw up close the gate you ask about, and had a chance to speak
> with the man who conceived it.  If my memory serves, it has as 1/2"
> playwood infrastructure, and is overlaid with foam board that has been hand
> carved and meticulously painted.  It is masterful in ist shading and
> texturing to look a heck of a lot like stonework.

My husband and I helped take it down last year.  The vast majority of the
parts are light enough for one or two people to carry easily.  There is a
metal-pipe scaffolding underneath everything - it was very amusing watching
my husband climb around on it in authentic garb - tunic, undertunic, period
hose and braies, coif, and soft leather pointed shoes.  (Almost as much fun
as watching him on top of our shower enclosure in the same garb, wielding an
electric drill to screw the parts together...we have a picture of that.)  He
had a great time.

Brangwayna Morgan