[Sca-cooks] Regarding:Cast Iron Cookware//Dutch Ovens

Irene Holloway ireneh at erols.com
Wed Jul 11 15:22:52 PDT 2001

Greetings.
I have been following the various discussions on cast iron cookware and
dutch ovens, especially the sections on where to obtain them.

I would hate to throw a damper on their use, but there are some quality
issues that crop up with the cheaper cast iron pieces.  Sandy Oliver's
newsletter on food history, as well as other publications, has talked
the use of cast iron in various American hearth cookery//period
restoration settings.  The general consensus was that all cast iron
these days was not the same quality.  Some of the cheap imports were
especially not recommended for use.

(I wish I could cite chapter, verse and issue as to which of Sandy
Oliver's issues to see, but I'm on holiday at the moment. The collection
is back home.)

Another point having cooked with cast iron over both open fires and
modern stoves, I would be of the opinion that outdoor cookery pieces
ought to be dedicated to just outdoor cookery.  You can of course follow
the old girl scout method of soaping the exteriors, but in my experience
the exteriors never cleaned up once they were used over a wood fire for
any extended period. This may or may not bother you but it's something
else to consider.

That being said, a recommemded source for acquiring pieces over time is
to shop garage sales, flea markets, etc. for the old heavy pices from
40-50 years ago.  Also ask around in your family circle.  Lots of people
abandoned cast iron when the teflon non-stick came into use. You'd be
surprised what turns up in your attics and back porch cabinets. Lodge
which produces some of the cast iron pieces also has outlet stores in
some of the various outlet malls across the country. Also any Amish
area, be it Ohio, Penn., Indiana, Illinois, etc. probably has a store
that sells cast ironware. Within the US, if you want to buy them, it's
often cheaper to travel to or detour to  a store that sells them rather
pay the shipping costs.

Sincerely,

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Johnna Holloway