[Sca-cooks] More from the newby

james rich 7152 at cableone.net
Sun Jul 15 02:37:05 PDT 2001

Okay, I've been perusing the Florilegium, and have found some great info on freezing bread, feast prep, and generally other good ideas. But I still have a couple of questions that I haven't found there yet:  one of those is about the herbs, I mentioned that I plan to grow my own herbs, also I'm hoping to have some nasturtiums and cress and corn salad from my own garden.  For the herbs, should I grow some of those in seperate little pots to take to site with me, or would it be okay just to harvest some of what I have already growing?
Another question is about increasing recipes:  I know that some respond well to basic math ( Hmm... serves 8, 100 people...8x12=96+another half recipe?) but other recipes just don't seem to work out the same way--double the recipe, and you somehow end up with either 3 times as much or maybe just half again as much.  ( At my first feast, I used the "basic math" method with my chicken blawmange and ended up with a *ton* of leftovers--I want to avoid that this time round if possible.)
AElfwenna