[Sca-cooks] Molasses and Columbus

Mon Jul 16 14:29:50 PDT 2001

Remembering some of the problems we have had finding references to molasses
use, I've come across an interesting reference in Columbus' diary.

Begining in folio 12v42 and continuing to 13r1, there is the following
reference (without the proper accents):

"y tambe los madava dar p[ar]a q comiesen quado ve nian en la y miel de
acucar."

This has been translated as, "And I also ordered them given food, in order
that they might eat when they came to the ship, and molasses."

The "miel de acucar" appears to be a variant of "miel de azúcar" or "honey
of sugar."