[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 17 09:20:51 PDT 2001

Originally posted to the SCA Chiurgeons' list:  forwarded with the
following permission:
"FWD as you wish.  I stand by my words and will take the heat. (pun
intended)."

If you have a response, don't shoot the messenger!  She can be reached
at <loom at gte.net> (http://homepages.about.com/cassandra777/theloomybin/)

Selene

Feasting with Food Allergies
By Lady Cassandra of Glastonbury (Alexis Abarria)

    Allergies are a body¹s response to the ingestion, inhalation or
otherwise introduction of certain substances to its system. Allergies
can occur in response to foods, pollens, dusts, molds, medications,
latex or any other number of materials. The level of allergic response
differs with each individual: it can be something as mild as a headache,

or something as debilitating as anaphylactic shock. Some allergies are
to specific forms of the substance. For example, someone might be
allergic to fresh onions and onion juice, but dried onions do not yield
a negative reaction. Some allergic responses are immediate, while others

can develop over a period of time. Some people with allergies may be
uncertain how to enjoy an SCA feast without an allergic reaction.

    Although most allergy sufferers know to ask questions, here are some

basic hints:

1. The catering staff doesn't really know what is in the food.

2. Always ask the cook if they cooked this dish, because if they didn't
cook it, they don't know what is in it, either.

3. For some reason many people will claim "No, no meat at all" in a
dish, but you get a different answer if you say "Crab? Clams? Fish?"
Then they say, "Oh, yeah, it has shrimp in it." So always follow your
general question (meat?) with a specific question (fish?).

4. Assume you will be lied to about spices. I have heard people get told

there was no _______ in something, when there is, but they didn't think
such a small amount would hurt. Ask a direct question like "Any __ - any

at all? Did you even handle the ____ while you cooked this?"

5. Tell the medical staff wherever you are if you have allergies,
especially if they are bad ones.

6. If there is no medical staff, leave a note with registration.

7. Wear a Medical Alert tag. Not all events have a chirurgeon and even
if they do, the chirurgeon may not remember you.

8. Carry your emergency medications with you. Yes, on your person, in
your pouch. It won't do you much good sitting in your basket half a mile

away buried under your feast gear. Epi-pens and inhalers do work
quickly.

9. Make sure your traveling companions know about your allergies and
where you keep your medication. Remind them occasionally so they don't
forget and try to feed you the wrong foods.

10. Check ingredient lists of the ingredients. Odd things are used in
packaged foods. Dairy products and MSG live in the most amazing places.
I am still amazed that peanut butter is used in commercial chili.

11. It's best to check ingredients before the event when the cook is not

quite as busy.

12. If you cannot get a straight answer about the ingredients, don't eat

it.

13. Alcohol does not cook off 100%.

14. Skipping one dish does not ruin a feast.

15. If you are old enough to attend events without your parents, you are

old enough to take responsibility for your dietary restrictions be they
allergies, diabetic, or religious.

16. Avoiding food allergies is ultimately your responsibility.  I grew
up with them, so I can say this.

    To the cooks:

1. Allergies are serious and potentially fatal. They can cause a
person's airways to shut down.  No oxygen, and a person can die.
Chirurgeon and Event Steward have to fill out much paperwork.  This is a

bad thing. Hives are not a thing to mess with either. They can get in
your throat and swell. Again, lack of oxygen is bad. Remember this
chirurgeon does not know how to run a tachometry and s/he really does
not want to learn.

2. If you want to keep the recipe "secret," omit the proportions and
cooking instructions.

3. Never suggest that people can pick out or eat around the ingredient.
Passing on a dish is one thing, eating around does not work. Been there,

done that.

4. Keep the animals out of the food preparation areas. Animal dander can

get into the food and cause an allergenic reaction.

5. Consider the cooking oil you use. A person who is allergic to peanuts

is also allergic to peanut oil.

6. Please post ingredients for the feast in an accessible spot.

7. Try to prevent cross-contamination. Wash your hands between cooking
dishes. Don't use the same spoon to stir different pots.

8. It is not necessary to change your menu to accommodate one person. It

is really nice to arrange a variety of foods that can accommodate
different allergies.

9. Liability comes into play if you misrepresent your ingredients. Think

lawsuit.  Think murder/attempted murder charges.

While exploring the ethers I found this thread regarding allergies,
food, and the SCA.  Many thanks to Kirsten Houseknecht for allowing me
to steal items #1-6 from her. Since then many others have joined me in
adding to this, including some very kind and tolerant cooks.