[Sca-cooks] Re: Trifle (?OOP) was victoria

Elysant1 at aol.com Elysant1 at aol.com
Thu Jul 19 13:49:08 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/16/01 11:38:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> I have seen, with my own eyes, self-contained, all-inclusive packets of
> instant trifle mix (possibly made by the Bird's people?), consisting of
> an envelope of instant custard mix, a compressed sponge cake thingy
> vaguely resembling one of those compressed sponges that puff up when you
> add water, and an envelope of fruit goo.

Yes... Birds do make an instant trifle "mix" like this - minus fruit goo, add
a packet of jelly or "jello", a packet of creamy topping powder, and a small
packet of sprinkles to decorate the whole effort... :-)

> Of course, any resemblance between the above and real trifle is purely
> accidental, so this is not intended as any kind of slur on the cuisine
> in question.

> While Americans do have the odd food to be embarrassed about, so does
> everybody else, and in the grand scheme of things, Little Debby Snack
> Cakes are fairly small potatoes...

True :-)  Using the snack cakes do add a different twist to the dish though -
and some of the more "modern" or "instant" ways of making trifile still turn
out a quite pleasant if not all authentic dessert (if you like trifley types
of things). :-)   I've also used Lady Fingers and "Swiss Roll" (when in
Britain) in it.  I wonder what would be the most authentic kind of cake to
use?

BTW Does anyone have a recipe for a Chocolate trifle?
(Sorry for the OOP bandwidth)

Elysant - who obviously does like trifley kinds of things..... ;-)