[Sca-cooks] Be an adult if you know of a allerge dont EAT!! Or pandoras box opened

chirhart_1 chirhart_1 at netzero.net
Thu Jul 19 14:23:53 PDT 2001

Hi to the list. Hello I,m Master chirhart. Iv been with the SCA for around thirty years.In the beginning(sounds biblical) We had no food allergy questions asked of us as cooks nor did we even think of asking.We made a feast, people came they ate drank and went home.(  Hopefully full and happy)Nothing really occurred until I started cooking at pennsic around eight years ago did I hear of likes, dislikes or allergic reactions. Not having done a scientific research on the subject I went about making list before pennsic of people whom were camping with us .There likes dislikes,allergies.Humpf...It looked as if people did not eat food . I asked the questions of are they dislikes.NoDeffanatly they were allergies.Not wanting to bog down the whole process(and not to offend friends or new people to the camp I made every effort to accommodate these issues.Madness ensued.Just short of asking for notes from there doctors and in order to bring back a sense of order and fun to the experience. I have had to ask the hard question are your allergies real or just that you have hated broccoli since child hood. Yes! ask those hard questions You also have to be adult about it.Things got better!! To make this a shorter story I have started to have fun in making shure no one strokes out at my table.The challenge has been tiring and rewarding.All my kitchen help are either apprentice or fellow campers .I don't want to WEAR THEM OUT .So the proclamation has been sent  THIS IS A HOLE HOG KITCHEN but if your Jewish or have a allergies or are vegan we will accommodate, BUT YOU MUST TELL ME.Other wise eat the pig.                                                                                                 Master chirhart
--

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access