[Sca-cooks] Roman sauces

Mem Morman mem.morman at oracle.com
Fri Jul 20 06:56:27 PDT 2001

At our Dragonspine Cooks Guild last night we play-tested four recipes
for a Roman feast that a relatively inexperienced cook is doing in
September.  We did Chicken with Squash (Giacosa - Vehling calls it
Chicken with Pumpkins), and Pork and Apples, and Artichokes with Eggs
(why does Vehling call them Cardoons?) and Carrots with Cumin.

We noticed significant differences between the Giacosa and Vehling
translations.  For instance, in the Carrot dish, Giacosa translates it
as Cumin and Vehling as Lasar.  Same with pumpkins and squash (but that
part I understand).

My real question here is that there was no instruction in any of the
originals to -cook- the sauces - just ingredients to prepare them.  We
made the decision to cook the sauces, but had a lot of discussion on
whether they should simply be mixed together and served cold.  Opinions?

Elaina