OT American copying - was Re: [Sca-cooks] American Iron Chef

Barbara Nostrand nostrand at acm.org
Mon Jul 23 13:18:34 PDT 2001

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig!

1) Japan is Disney's biggest foreign market.

2) Tokyo Disneyland is bigger than the one in California and may
    be bigger than the one in Florida.

3) McDonald's would probably not have done at all well in Japan
    if it were not for the efforts and more importantly the changes
    introduced by the fellow who owns McDonald's Japan. Since his
    successful adaption of McDonald's to Japan, McDonald's USA has
    changed its format. The differences are not quite as obvious
    these days.

>Yes, it's true that Japanese animation was, for years, consistently
>better than American animation. As an example of quality workmanship,

This mostly reflects the dark days of American animation after
Disney stopped making animated features and Hana Barbera studios
took to really really poor animation techniques. Disney style
multi-leval cell-based full-animation with sound synchronistation
is greatly respected in Japan. I suggest that you take a look at
Momotaro Joins the Army. I say this film on late-night Japanese
televation. It was heavily discussed both before and after its
actual showing. The commentators were very enamoured of its
Disneyesque qualities. Regardless, both manga and anime are
pretty serious art forms in Japan.

Finally. Who is Misha? I once met someone called Misha in Japan.

Incidentally, East Asian reviewers and audiences panned "Crouching
Tiger, Hidden Dragon." Those snickering Asian-American viewers had
not lost touch. I am into films, and think that it was a fine film.
But, it works much more as a psychological piece for European and
American audiences than it does as a martial arts piece for East
Asian audiences. This was the subject in a recent article in
either Education on Asia or the Journal of the Association for
Asian Studies. I forget which. I don't believe that the article
was in Monumenta Nipponica, although I get that journal as well.

As for Dragon Ball Z. I liked the first six or twelve of the
Dragon Ball digest series back when they were retelling the
Journey to the West. After that, it became a rather boring
series of super martial arts tournaments. Then again, I really
liked Dr. Slump Arale Chan which is the series that preceeded
Dragon Ball. Incidentally, back in its time, Dr. Slump Arale
Chan was the most popular animated series on Japanese television.

				Your Humble Servant
				Solveig Throndardottir
				Amateur Scholar

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu      |
| Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
|                  vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
|                  netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
|                  com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
|                  mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
|                  techie.com, msn.com                                |