[Sca-cooks] beverages

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Jul 31 16:12:43 PDT 2001

Elizabeth asked:
> >Tangentially, I'm beginning to take my first baby steps into brewing
> >[as opposed to macerating cordials] by making a fermented fruit pot out
> of all
> >those $%^&  plums from my parents' tree.  The plums have not much solid
> >matter left, the yeast seems to have calmed down and the purple fluid in
> the >bucket is just a little scary.  I'll brave the peril sometime soon.
>
>   As an extremely novice brewer (Knowne World Handbook, first ed. mead
> recipes, 12-15 years ago) are you being serious or facetious?  I have a
> similar problem with pears, and was trying to figure out how I'm going to
> cope with a tree's worth ... If you are talking about a period
> recipe/technique, could you post it, please?

For a number of mead comments and recipes, check this file in the
BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium:
mead-msg         (168K)  7/ 3/00    Making mead. Honey based alcoholic
beverage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/mead-msg.html

For info on making Perry, check this file:
perry-msg          (9K)  8/24/99    A cider made with pear juice.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/perry-msg.html

For some general information on brewing, check this file:
brewing-msg       (60K)  7/25/00    General brewing info and sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/brewing-msg.html

For some more ideas and recipes on what to do with your excess pears
try this file in the FOOD-FRUITS section:
fruit-pears-msg   (19K) 10/11/99    Period pears and pear recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-pears-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net