[Sca-cooks] OOP: Victoria Sponge Cake

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Mon Jul 2 12:50:10 PDT 2001

Adamantius wrote:

>The edition of the Book of Household
>Management that I have is a rather recent "coffee table" production
>(1987?); it seems to use Beeton's text in support of a bunch of truly
>glorious photos of nouvelle revisionist Victorian food ;  ). While the
>book does claim to have the original and complete text, I wouldn't be
>surprised if the observance of this qualification was a bit on the
>whimsical side.

I seem to have deleted the recipe you posted and can't compare so here is
the complete recipe from the facsimilie of Mrs. Beeton's Book of Household
Management, originally published in 1861:

"Victoria Sandwiches
1491.  Ingredients: - 4 eggs; their weight in pounded sugar, butter, and
flour; 1/4 saltspoonful of salt, a layer of any kind of jam or marmalade.
Mode: - Beat the butter to a cream; dredge in the flour and pounded sugar;
stir these ingredients well together, and add the eggs, which should be
previously thoroughly whisked. When the mixture has been well beaten for
about 10 minutes, butter a Yorkshire-pudding tin, pour in the batter, and
bake it in a moderate oven for 20 minutes. Let it cool, spread one half of
the cake with a layer of nice preserve, place over it the other half of the
cake, press the pieces slightly together, and then cut it into long
finger-pieces; pile them in crossbars on a glass dish, and serve.
Time. - 20 minutes. Average cost, 1s, 3d.
Sufficient for 5 or 6 persons. Seasonable at any time."