[Sca-cooks] Re: asparagus in sauce (long)

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:27:27 PDT 2001

>Vincent and folks: I'm making a long post longer still, but it's hard to
>comment without the original post. I'm going to make some minor adjustments
>to the translation and offer some comments and suggestions to augment
>Vincent's excellent redaction. And Vincent, please don't take these as
>corrections, just expanding on the idea.

Hey, no problem!  I don't claim to be an expert in Catalan.  As far as the
redaction goes, I was following the directions in Josep Lladonosa i Giro's
book on medieval cuisine.  He lists the original text, then gives directions
but no proportions.  Man, I wish I could pick your brain at length.

>Actually it is Chapter CXVIII. 117 is another asparagus dish, equally good,
>but different (fried asparagus with sugar and spices).

Shall we tell Mr. Grewe? :-)

>Don't confuse "prim" and "prem". Prem means to press them.

I'll remember that. De Nola uses the same technique in his recipes.

>Soffrig-los means to lightly fry. The translated term is deceptive.

Master Adamantius and I had a discussion about this lo these many years ago
(over some kick-butt dim sum), and he suggested the term "sweat" as a
possible English equivalent.  In my translation of de Nola I used sweat when
referring to vegetables, and lightly fry when referring to meats. Six of
one, half dozen of the other. :-)

>and when they are properly (or sufficiently) lightly fried with the onions
>awhile (una pessa = a time), add a little grape syrup or honey.
>
>Arrop/arop = a grape syrup made from reduced grape juice that has just
>started to ferment before it is reduced.
Aha!  I was guessing it was cognate to the Castilian "jarabe", meaning
syrup.

>I think you did a marvelous job. If you felt that way about the sauce, you
>got it right, because it is amazing.

Thank you Master. I'll remember your instructions for next time. :-) Would
it be possible to contact you off the list regarding the introduction to
"confits"?  I'm trying to wade through several cubic feet of courtly
Catalan, and it's making me twitch.  Too bad Babelfish doesn't have a
Catalan option. :-)

In service,

Vicente