[Sca-cooks] Re: Online Glossary

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Tue Jul 3 22:36:50 PDT 2001

>But I believe it also can refer to the "stillroom" where medicines,
>confections, and other items were made.  It might depend on how it
>is used in the sentence.  Do we have any examples, Cindy?
>
>Alys Katharine

This is from (A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen, 1636) To candie all
manner of Flowers, Fruits and Spices, the cleere rocke-Candie.
Take two pound of Barbary Sugar great grained, clarified with the whites of
two egges, and boile it almost as high as for Manus Christi: then put it
into a pipkin that is not very rough: then put in your Flowers, Fruits, and
Spices, and so put your pipkin into a Still, and make a small fire of small
coales under it; and, in the space of twelve dayes, it will be
rocke-candied.

So, you see, we're not doing a distillation, but rather a slow evaporation.
And the pipkin is supposed to fit inside the still.

Regards,

Cindy