[Sca-cooks] Shave Ice history

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Thu Jul 5 13:43:58 PDT 2001

[snipped: snow from the mountain]

> Selene here.  Many ice cream web sites tell a virtually identical
> tale about Roman Emperor Nero and Alexander the Great rather than
> the Shogun.  Everyone wants a piece of the action!

Yet another, during the 3rd Crusade at the Siege of Acre, involving
King Richard I and Sala Al-din.  It has many permutations:

"Once, during the war, Richard fell seriously ill with fever. When
Saladin heard that his enemy was sick, he made a truce; and as long as
the disease lasted, he daily sent Richard fresh fruit, and ice and
snow which were brought down from the top of Mount Leb´a-non."

"Though Saladin at times could be very cruel he was also most generous
with his enemies. When Richard came down with a fever, Saladin sent
him peaches, pears and ice from the top of Mount Hermon, 100 miles
away."

Iyad ibn Bisharo / Thrain Tjúguskegg
Easaraigh, Meridies
www.easaraigh.org