[Sca-cooks] Ack! I've lost it also! (rabbit dish)

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 5 13:46:35 PDT 2001

>From: tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
>To roste a Hare
>First wash it in faire water, then perboyle it and lay in
>cold water againe, then larde it, and roste it in a
>broch. Then to make sauce for it, take red Vinigar, Salt,
>Pepper, Ginger Cloves, Mace, and put them together. Then
>minse Apples, and Onions, and frie them with a litle
>Sugar, and let them boyle wel together, then baste it
>upon yor hare, and so serve it foorth.
>(The good huswifes handmaide ... 1594)

That's the one.  Thank you.

I did use the rabbit in the other recipe posted with onions.  After browning
the rabbit parts I used a cherry dessert wine and a little chicken stock
added the spices, toast soaked in sour grape juice and mashed toward the end
of the cooking I tossed in a bunch of fresh pitted cherries and just before
serving I added the vinegar.  I used some home made black raspberry vinegar.
  I also got rave reviews!  Next time I do this I will make a seperate pan
with chicken in that sauce and serve up both.
Olwen