[Sca-cooks] Corn Bread

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Jul 5 14:12:09 PDT 2001

Well, I guess you've never met me.  Or any number of people who either hail from the South and/or who like dishes like chili with their cornbread.  I eat it whenever I can get it or have time to make it.  I also make
spoonbread, which is a similar "critter" except that it has a consistency closer to a stiff pudding!

I have seen very late period recipes for sweet potatoes in England, and I have heard that there are recipes in late period from Italy, though I'm not personally acquainted with them.  I also understand that there are
some translation projects under way that could prove that potatoes were known in Germany in late period.  However, I have never seen or heard of any information about corn.  In fact, I seem to recall a discussion on
this list some time ago about how corn is still regarded as food for livestock in parts of Europe!

Kiri