[Sca-cooks] Newby to the list

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 21:07:25 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/5/01 11:02:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
7152 at cableone.net writes:

> Greetings
>  I'm new to this list, so a brief introduction. I live in Meridies, in the
> Barony of Seleone.  In Oct. I will be making my second feast.  ( I did my
> first about 5 years ago. )  I *did* learn a few lessons from that
experience:
>  seven courses/removes are *too many*; don't ever try to whip meringue in
> southern Meridies in August in an un-airconditioned kitchen 8-) ; and how
> light a gas oven.  This time around, one thing I'd like to do differently
is *
> make* the fresh baked bread--the last time I was advised by the autocrat
and
> others, to use the purchased frozen bread dough, and just dress it up. This
> was not unsuccessful, but I did feel as though I were cheating a bit.  This
> time, I'd like to make my own dough to freeze.  This would give me the
> convenience of having the dough readily available on the day of the feast,
> yet still feel I did it myself.  Ditto the pastry and the noodles.  So I'd
> really like some advice as to the best way to freeze these items so as to
> avoid freezer burn.  Another thing I hope to do is use herbs I have grown
> myself--should I just harvest them from home or should I plant some little
> pots to take to the site with me?
>  I do plan on lots of pre-cook, so I'd like some ideas on organizing that.
>  Any advice on these or related matters would be *very* much appreciated.
>  Thanks
>  AElfwenna of Shrewsbury

Hullo Aelfwenna!
    I'm another newbie to the list and still a youngin who has little
experience in a feast kitchen. Let me just tell you that Stefan's website
will be almost the same as God to you. Hope you can answer some of my
questions if I have no idea what I anm doing.

On to food comment:I tried to make a baked mint meringue that would hopefully
be somewhat crunchy and the melt-in-your-mouth-not-in-your-hand mint
meringue. I whipped the eggs, added the sugar in little by little, had the
bowl over ice and cooked it but it still went wrong. Help me!!

Vladimir Misha Ilich Grigorov (wanted to be formal today)
Western Canton
Barony of Caer Mear
Kingdom of Atlantia