[Sca-cooks] A question of Turnips...

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 10:08:38 PDT 2001

Mari wrote:
>I've discovered that I need to work in another vegetable dish and would like
>to go with Turnips
>
>Can anyone advise of their their favourite Turnip dish - other than "Turnips
>armoured in Self Defense" ?
>
>I'm a bit limited for oven space so really long baked dishes (ie more
>than 40 minutes) would be last choice.

For the Boar Hunt, i didn't want to do Armored Turnips again, and
Anne-Marie Rousseau sent me a (gulp) 17th c. recipe for turnips in
mustard sauce which were well received. You basically pre-cook the
turnips in two changes of water - i cut them up first so they'd cook
faster - then the go into baking pans with the butter and mustard and
other seasonings just long enough to get them bubbly, which wasn't
long at all.

This is from my webbed version of my Boar Hunt recipes
http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/menu.html

Original: Turnips
French, le Cuisinier françois, la Varenne, 1654

Scrape them, blanch them, and seethe them with water, butter and
salt; after they
are enough, put them in a dish with very fresh butter, you may put in some
mustard; serve with nutmeg.

Turnips in Butter and Mustard Sauce
for 80 to 90 diners
recipe by Anahita based on a recipe by Anne-Marie Rousseau

60 whole turnips
4 lb. butter
Salt
4 cups Dijon mustard
20 pinches nutmeg

1. Peel turnips. Slice thickly.
2. Parboil by dropping into boiling water for a few minutes. Drain.
3. Then place in fresh boiling water with some salt. Boil until quite
tender. Drain well.
4. Place turnip slices in baking dishes.
5. Make a sauce by placing 4 lb. of butter and 4 cups of prepared
Dijon mustard in a pan and heat just until butter is melted, stirring
to blend.
6. Pour mustard sauce over dished turnips, making sure all turnips
have some sauce on them.
7. Sprinkle each dish lightly with nutmeg.
8. Bake 5-10 min. at 350°.

NOTES:
1. My thanks to Anne-Marie Rousseau for sharing this recipe with me.
2. People who said they never eat turnips said they liked this dish,
people who liked turnips said they loved this dish.

Anahita