[Sca-cooks] Re: Corn Bread (haring off in a different direction)

Elizabeth A Heckert spynnere at juno.com
Thu Jul 5 14:52:01 PDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:06:17 -0500 "Decker, Terry D."
<TerryD at Health.State.OK.US> writes:

>France, being France, banned the use of barm or yeast at some point
> and required that all bread be made with sourdough.  The law was
repealed >largely due to the fact that the airy baugette requires a fast
acting yeast to >produce the proper texture.

Now I have a question that has nothing to do with corn bread if I may.  I
used to work in natural foods groceries.  The first time, in the early
90's, there were (I think) two United States bakeries producing what they
called authentic french breads (including bagette) from whole grains
which the bakers claimed were made over the course of a day or so, so
that the dough could pull yeast from the air  (this was ten years ago).
I remember the bread very well, because it was light, even for being
whole wheat, and it was pleasantly sour to taste.  All I had for
information was the advertising on the  bag.  The bakers claimed it was a
secret technique.  Were they relying on an advertising gimmick of some
sort?  If not, why would a method like that produce an airy loaf?

Thanks for reading this!

Elizabeth