[Sca-cooks] Corn Bread

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 18:16:46 PDT 2001

On 6 Jul 01,, a5foil wrote:

> > Another person says that since they have a late period Spanish
> > persona, they can freely eat tomatoes, potatoes, and corn.
>
> Freely? Not as a medieval/renaissance reenactor, but possibly if they were
> reenacting 17th-18th century Spanish Colonial. Again, save your breath.
> These people are relying on the absence of documentation to the contrary,
> not on evidence of the practice.

Ditto.  I have seen no late-period recipes for any of these foods, except for a
few recipes in Granado (1599) for preserves that contain potato (possibly
sweet potato).  As I mentioned in a previous discussion, some of the
Spaniards in 16th centruy Mexico were eating the local "salsa" of chile
mixed with tomato, but there's no mention of their bringing it home.  The
only other New World foods in Granado are turkey and guinea pig.  Tell the
guy with the late-period Spanish persona that he can freely eat guinea pig.
(Recipes are in the Florilegium.)

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
mka Robin Carroll-Mann  ***  rcmann4 at earthlink.net