[Sca-cooks] oil lamps

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 7 18:07:28 PDT 2001

Vara replied to me with:
> In my period....a LOT earlier than yours, we tended to use fat not oil for
> lamps. Tallow, and animal fats.
> fish oils were used as well. Not so much veg oil as they would have been far
> too expensive to burn.
> The rich had beeswax candles.

Oops. Sorry folks. That was meant for the SCA-Arts list. I guess my
fingers are too used to typing "SCA-Cooks".

Will fat work in a lamp though? I thought to work in a lamb the fuel
needed to liquid.

Any proof that the rich actually burned beeswax candles in their
homes? I was under the impression that most of the beeswax candles
went for use in the churches.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net