[Sca-cooks] Chocolate (was Corn Bread)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 08:23:02 PDT 2001

Volker Bach wrote:

> Susan Fox-Davis schrieb:
> >
> > Christianna quotes:
> >
> > > And sometimes they make Tablets of the Sugar, and the
> > > Chocolate together: which they doe onely to please the Pallats, as
> > > the Dames of Mexico do use it; and they are there sold in shops, and
> > > are confected and eaten like other sweet-meats.
> >I admit:
> > I admit freely to taking the tablets themselves and noshing on them when no other
> > chocolate is available.  First the crunch of sugar grains and the fire of cinnamon,
> > then the smoothness of dark chocolate.  Mmmm, excuse me...
> Then Giano asks:
> Would those be homemade or are they for sale
> somewhere?

Mexican Chocolate Tablets are common in grocery stores here in Southern California.  They
are circular, about the diameter of my palm and 1 cm thick, marked in wedges that one
breaks off, pulverizes in a mortar [these days, probably more commonly in an electric
blender] and mixes with hot water or milk for a warm tasty treat with centuries of
history.  The ingredients in the tablet are sugar, cocoa nibs, vanilla and cinnamon.  I
use the Ibarra brand tablets, and they can be found online at <www.chocoibarra.com.mx/>
English and Spanish language pages are available.

Selene