[Sca-cooks] Dutch oven question

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:09:55 PDT 2001

Does anyone have information about or pictures of a device called a "testo"?
  According to the descriptions I've read, it's a three legged iron pot with
a thick lid.  You can pile coals around and on top of it so that it
functions like a small oven.

While the cast iron Dutch oven that we know of is not necessarily period, it
strikes me that it functions in the same way as a testo.  De Nola has a
number of recipes calling for the pot or pan in question to have coals
heaped on the top of the lid.

Any ideas?

Vicente