[Sca-cooks] Dutch Ovens & Potijes

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 07:45:54 PDT 2001

--- Volker Bach <bachv at paganet.de> wrote:
> I have drawings and pictures of period German
> 'Dreibeintöpfe' which look almost exactly like
> potijes and am thinking, in the medium term, of
> learning enough pottery to make some myself (we
> got courses at the Community College). I also
> enquired about prices with a few local potters and
> came away quite sobered (though still interested).
> However, I would really LIKE a cast-iron version
> because I have seen first hand what happens to
> cookware at Wars :-)

If you're going to Pennsic, I suggest you stop by and
talk to Master Hroar, who merchants in the bazaar near
the store and the info tent. Hroar got his bayleaves
by researching and creating period pottery, and sells
mostly period stuff at his booth- mostly, because
people always want non-period mugs and such. He's
always interested in learning more about period stuff,
and creating it.

If you tell him I sent you, he'll give you a
particularly rough time ;-) He's a dear friend, and
his health is bad, so if he looks a bit ill to you,
tell him so, and encourage him to rest, eat, and see
the Chirurgeons. You'd be doing me a great favor if
you do.

Phlip