[Sca-cooks] Black beans and rice sides

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Thu Jul 12 07:43:27 PDT 2001

Philippa Alderton schrieb:

> As it happens, this afternoon, I'm making up some
> Black Beans and Rice, with my usual sides, and I was
> wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for
> alternative sides. Recipes follow ;-)
>
> Black Beans-
>
> 1 lb well soaked Beans, simmered gently all day, w/
> 3 Hickory Smoked ham hocks
> Chopped hot peppers to taste
> Chopped onion and garlic added after 5-6 hours
> Two small cans tomato paste
> 1 Large can tomatoes
>
> Simmer all gently, so the broken beans absorb the fat
> and get velvety smooth- the intact beans add texture,
> and the tomatoes add flavor, and make things a deep
> mahogany color. One hour before serving, add more
> chopped onion, giving two variants of onion flavor in
> the same dish- If you serve raw ones on the side, you
> get three ;-)Salt isn't really needed- the hocks add
> plenty of that for most people.
>
> I usually get the beans mostly done, then refrigerate
> overnight, then let simmer for a while next day before
> serving- helps blend the flavors, and get that
> beans-are-always-better-on-the-second-day flavor ;-)

I'ver never done beans, but this sounds very
interesting... How hot does it get? I had a great
day with some chili con carme that still made
people sore going out the next day :-)

> Rice-
>
> I use the short grain Asian rice which is fairly
> sticky, tossed/ blended with butter just before
> serving. To serve, make a rice bowl within the bowl
> you're serving in, and add the beans- you get a chunk
> of rice in every spoon of beans, that way.

I often boil rice in broth, to get the added
flavour (and color, in which case I use saffron
for authenticity, or curcuma for financial
reasons, depending on where it is served). I've
only tried this with Asian once, and it worked
very well. I also had some interesting results
with laurel leaves (tasty), dried dill (good with
fish, though I shouldn't have used broth with
Jerusalem Spis) and fresh parsley (not much for
flavor, but I got a nice shade of pastel mint).

> Salad-
>
> Thinly sliced cukes, onions, and tomatoes dressed in
> Balsamic vinegar, and allowed to sit a blend flavors
> for an hour or so.

I like the cukes sliced more thickly and
quartered, and add either a ready-made 'Italian
dressing herb mix' when I'm lazy or a variation on
the theme of marjoram, thyme, basil and parsley
when I have time. Also, try some white balsamico
that you steep said herbs in. I also eat this
salad on its own, with black bread and sour cream
or curd cheese.

And you're never wrong with garlic.

> Would love to hear other suggestions, either
> alternatives, or additions, keeping in mind that I
> don't do bland.....

Hail and Farewell

Giano