[Sca-cooks] Dutch Ovens & Potijes

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 08:53:41 PDT 2001

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> If you're going to Pennsic, I suggest you stop by and
> talk to Master Hroar, who merchants in the bazaar near
> the store and the info tent. Hroar got his bayleaves
> by researching and creating period pottery, and sells
> mostly period stuff at his booth- mostly, because
> people always want non-period mugs and such. He's
> always interested in learning more about period stuff,
> and creating it.

My gal pal Artemisia is getting apprenticed to Master Hroar at Pennsic,
yup, long-distance 'prentice from Caid, but she's a wonderful potter and
found a kindred soul through the magic of the Internet.  I'm
fail-testing her pipkins, so when I found a web site of this wonderful
man working and researching in the same line, I made sure she saw it --
now look what it's all come to!

> If you tell him I sent you, he'll give you a
> particularly rough time ;-) He's a dear friend, and
> his health is bad, so if he looks a bit ill to you,
> tell him so, and encourage him to rest, eat, and see
> the Chirurgeons. You'd be doing me a great favor if
> you do.
>
> Phlip

On your advice, I will suggest she keep a weather eye on the state of
his health.  Arti is a definite nurturer type and will keep him fed and
hydrated.  Her boyfriend is my protege' so I'm sort of a "peer-in-law"
although she has a local Laurel "faculty advisor" as well.

Meanwhile, back on topic... too bad Dutch Oven is just an expression, if
they were really from the Netherlands, Giano would not have such a tough
time finding one.  [OK, this was a stretch, at least I'm trying.]

Selene