Blow Torch (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Creme Brulee)

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Thu Jul 12 14:04:51 PDT 2001

Was written:>> My best memory of it is when my manager walked into the
kitchen and asked
>> me: "How long would it take to prepare meringue?".

Snip

the idiotic manager had neglected to include the Baked
>> Alaska the bride had requested, on *all* the prep papers he'd given us...

and was also written:

in the way of similar problem-solving all I can offer is the occasion when I
found the exec
>nearly in tears two minutes before service when a huge batch of braised
>escarole turned out to have been unwashed, or insufficiently so, because
>it was full of grit. He reminded me of Gene Wilder in "The Producers":
>"No way out... no way out... no way out... no way out..." etc.

All I can respond to the above is to but quote the famous line:

"Bring out the other fish."