[Sca-cooks] Dutch Ovens & Potijes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jul 12 22:47:34 PDT 2001

Phlip commented:
> --- Volker Bach <bachv at paganet.de> wrote:
> > I have drawings and pictures of period German
> > 'Dreibeint=F6pfe' which look almost exactly like
> > potijes and am thinking, in the medium term, of
> > learning enough pottery to make some myself (we
> > got courses at the Community College). I also
> > enquired about prices with a few local potters and
> > came away quite sobered (though still interested).
> > However, I would really LIKE a cast-iron version
> > because I have seen first hand what happens to
> > cookware at Wars :-)
>
> If you're going to Pennsic, I suggest you stop by and
> talk to Master Hroar, who merchants in the bazaar near
> the store and the info tent. Hroar got his bayleaves
> by researching and creating period pottery, and sells
> mostly period stuff at his booth- mostly, because
> people always want non-period mugs and such. He's
> always interested in learning more about period stuff,
> and creating it.

Most of Hroar's work is based on period pieces and on each of his
labels he says what the item is and what culture and time it is
from. It can be educational just browsing through his stuff and
reading the labels.

He also makes puzzle jugs which could be just the thing for your
friends who've had just a bit too much to drink...

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net