[Sca-cooks] Measurement query for European members

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Fri Jul 13 12:14:24 PDT 2001

>> That's deciliters (1 dl = 100 ml). I'm currently trying to forcibly remove
>> them from Icelandic recipe writing, having limited success.
>
>So, what would you use instead? I think "cups" has a certain ring and
>familiarity to it. :-)

Lessee. . . <sounds of fingers being counted on> . . .
One liter is a hair larger than one quart; 1 dl is a tenth of a liter, and therefore
a hair more than one-tenth of a quart. There are, ummmm, what is it, 2 pints
per quart and 2 cups per pint, so 4 cups per quart, so 1 dL should be slightly
less than a half-cup, right?

(I _always_ hated cups and pints and gallons and quarts; I can never keep
how many there are, even though I use them daily. that's one advantage the
metric system has, I guess.)

Alban