[Sca-cooks] Garlic WAS Black beans and rice sides

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jul 13 20:39:57 PDT 2001

Christina Nevin wrote:

>         Adamantius wrote
>         And then, of course, there was the occasion when I accidentally
> invented garlic brownies. They actually weren't bad, but I think, had I the
> opportunity to do them over again... .
>
> You wouldn't forget the chili?
>
> C'mon, you know you want to...
>
> Lucrezia
> (avid garlic/chili cheese on toast eater)

Of course I do! Don't be silly...

All that happened was that I was making brownies, and happened to
mistake for ordinary AP flour the canister of pre-mixed Cantonese
deep-frying batter mix my wife had made up. It turned out to consist of
self-rising cake flour (probably Swan's Down brand, very popular among
Chinese-Americans for many, many uses), white pepper, garlic powder, and
powdered ginger.

While mixing my brownies, my fairly sensitive nose detected a vaguely
familiar but unidentifiable smell. I asked my wife: "Does this batter
smell funny to you?"    "No," she replied.  "I'm sure," I said, "there's
a peculiar odor to it. I can't quite place it. Maybe the bowl wasn't clean?"

This went on for a while, with no decision being reached on what,
exactly, was different about these brownies. I shrugged and baked them.
They were the most lovely, crisp, chewy, rich brownies I had ever made,
and probably will make again. We brought them to some friends' house.
One of them took a bite and said, "Garlic brownies???"

Consensus was that they were the best brownies anybody there had ever
had, if a bit strange.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy