[Sca-cooks] Measurement query for European members

Fri Jul 13 21:20:34 PDT 2001

For period recipes, this isn't a problem.  The US gallon is based on the
British wine measure which was the British standard until 1826, when it was
replaced by the modern Imperial system.

The modern Imperial gallon is 160 oz. of water at 68 degrees F (IIRC).  The
ratio of cups to pints to quarts remains the same, but the volume and
weights differ.

Bear