[Sca-cooks] Cauldron cooking

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jul 14 23:29:31 PDT 2001

Maeve asked:
> I have been cooking over a fire for several tourney seasons,  I want to
> expand the repertoire from roasting on the meat fork, wrapping meat in hard
> pastry (or foil on occasion) and stews cooked in the cauldron.  Has anyone
> worked with the type of cauldron cooking where you cook things in pudding
> bags or in crock in the cauldron?

I have not personally tried the puddings in a bag technique. However,
maybe the comments in these files in the Florilegium might be of use
to you. In the FOOD-MEATS section:
haggis-msg        (88K)  5/16/01    Scottish haggis recipes. comments on haggis.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/haggis-msg.html

In the FOOD section:
puddings-msg      (65K) 12/20/00    Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/puddings-msg.html

For stews, perhaps this one in the FOOD-MEATS section:
stews-bruets-msg  (65K)  5/24/00    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/stews-bruets-msg.html

For some more info on cooking over fires, check this file in the FOOD
section:
cook-ovr-fire-msg (46K)  3/ 3/00    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cook-ovr-fire-msg.html
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net