[Sca-cooks] More from the newby

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sun Jul 15 10:05:28 PDT 2001

I'll address the herbs question since my expansion of recipes hasn't been
particularly successful :-(.

On taking growing herbs in pots.  How much packing space do you have and how
long are you going to be gone?  Remember those herbs will need to be watered
fairly frequently because the will be in small pots and liable to drying
out.  Also they will be relatively fragile.  Someone shoving one more sword
on top of your load could cost you the entire mini-garden.

When we went to Egil's a couple of months ago I went out and cut big
branches and tips from the rosemary bush that is eating the garage (I know
rosemary isn't supposed to grow as far north as Portland, but this isn't the
Eden at the end of the Oregon Trail for nothing! :-), yanked up some clumps
of mint and lemon balm (it's wild), and cut a lot of oregano, sage, thyme,
sorrel, chives, garlic chives, and Egyptian onions.  Then we rapped the
roots of stems in wet paper towels and put them in plastic bags.  What
wasn't needed for cooking was intended for "strewing" on the ground.