[Sca-cooks] Torta Sambuccea

margali margali at 99main.com
Mon Jul 16 06:08:12 PDT 2001

Great idea to make cheese at Pennsic ;-)

There is a chemical that you have to add to pasteurized
homogenized milk to make it curd up when you add the rennet
[animal or vegetable type] so I would suggest that you go to :
http://www.cheesemaking.com/

No afiliation [other than a satisfied customer ;-)]
They are very friendly, and they even have a starter kit:
https://camby.crocker.com/cheese2/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=kit.htm&cart_id=

The starter kit is for ricotta/mozzarella, and is dead simple ;-)

I prefer their mesophilic starter [it includes the rennet and the
microbes for cheddar and other hard cheeses] as my favorite ceese
product is actually the curds that you get before you compress
them into cheese ;-) [what can I say, when made right, they
squeek when you bite into them. It's a kid thing, I grew up near
a cheese factory and like curds!]
margali

~~~~~the quote starts here:
Finally, does anyone have any cheese recipes?

  Considering the easy availability of fresh milk at Pennsic, it
might
  be very very cool to have fresh homemade cheese to use as the
best
  fresh cheese either in this recipe or in others that call for
cheese.

-M