[Sca-cooks] Measurement query for European members

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 09:41:15 PDT 2001

 My problem comes with the dry measurements.  I get hold of a
recipe that

 calls for grams.  Now I can convert this to ounces, but it's
fluid rather

 than dry.  Can anyone tell me how to get grams to
teaspoons/tablespoons or

 dry ounces?

 Kiri

You really need a scale.  There is no single conversion from weight to
volume.  A pound of sugar is about 2 cups; a pound of flour is 3-4
cups.  Five grams of aniseseeds will be a different volume than five grams
of ground cinnamon.  I have an electronic scale that switches back and
forth from grams to ounces.  I got it for baking, but I find it very
valuable for period recipes and modern European recipes that often give
measurements in terms of weight.  The one I have is Terraillon brand.
It was a gift, but I think it came from King Arthur Flour
catalog.  Any decent cooking supply store should have a similar
scale.

Brighid ni Chiarain

--- Robin Carroll-Mann

--- rcmann4 at earthlink.net