[Sca-cooks] Measurement query for European members

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 16 09:41:59 PDT 2001

--- Elaine Koogler <ekoogler at chesapeake.net> wrote:
> My problem comes with the dry measurements.  I get
> hold of a recipe that
> calls for grams.  Now I can convert this to ounces,
> but it's fluid rather
> than dry.  Can anyone tell me how to get grams to
> teaspoons/tablespoons or
> dry ounces?
>
> Kiri

 Kiri, you aren't going to be able to convert gms to
tsp or Tbsp, because one is a weight measure, the
others a measure for fluid volume, and the mass of the
fluid will vary according to its density.

OTOH, 1 US oz weighs 28 gms, IIRC, and there's the
usual 16 oz in a lb.

When you're measuring water, you can transpose pints
and pounds for a rough measurement (for an accurate
measurement, the water has to be at a certain temp,
and 100% pure) and this will work fine for anything
but baking. Baking tends to be very precise and
formulaic, so a very small percentage off by weight
can really skew the quality of the finished product.

Hope this helps,

Phlip