[Sca-cooks] Lahmajun

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Jul 16 12:42:22 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
Well, this is similar, though a little different, but it might be what you're
looking for:

Sanbusaj [Middle Persian sambosag, small pie, samosa] Take the mentioned meat,
described in the maqluba which is before makabib al-yahud (meat cooked with
seasonings, nutmeats, eggs, sesame--kiri) and take a [raw] thin flatbread and
cut it up shanbaran (note:  "perhaps a variant of shabura, 'triangle', though
the subsequent instruction suggests a square shape) and stuff it with the
aforementioned meat.  Fold it into a triangle and seal its top with dough.
Fry it in sesame oil and take it up.

There are several other recipes for meats cooked with various ingredients and
then "stuffed" into some sort of pastry in Perry's translation of "The
Description of Familiar Foods" in the Medieval Arab Cookery book.

Kiri

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

There's a dish i've had that seems to be eaten both by Turks and
Armenians, called Lahmajun - various spellings.

It's a yeasted flat bread, made with oil and yogurt - mix dough let
it rise - then prepare ground meat - lamb usually, by mixing with
various chopped vegetables and spices (many new world these days).
Then you take the dough divide it evenly, roll out each piece into a
flat round, spread the meat on each and bake until done - about 10
min. or so.

I was wondering if there's something like this that anyone has
noticed in the Near Eastern corpus? I'll be looking through my books,
but just in case someone has spotted something like this already or
read about something like this in literature...

Anahita