[Sca-cooks] Molasses and Columbus

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 17 04:25:12 PDT 2001

a5foil wrote:

> Bear,
>
> I don't know about molasses on ships, but some histories of sugar mention
> that the Muslim sugar manufacturers on Sicily, and later on Cyprus, offered
> several grades of sugar, from a well-drained cone sugar to a heavy syrup. I
> haven't ever focused on that myself, but I doubt the strong body and depth
> of flavor that molasses lends went unnoticed.
>
> Could this have been a golden syrup, rather than what we think of as
> molasses, today? Truly a honey of sugar?

I suspect a problem with that idea might be that the "golden" in golden
syrup is specifically achieved deliberately, while the brown of molasses
is largely a matter of processing, or the lack thereof.

Or, as Neil Simon once wrote, "You have to _make_ gravy, it doesn't just
come with the meat!"

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy