[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Bread Baking

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Jul 17 09:19:32 PDT 2001

Pierre Vianney, le Boulanger de Grenobl said:
> Please pardon the band width,  but I was wondering if anyone on the list
> would be interested in assisting me with a little project.
>
> I am interested in recreating the bread baked by the Egyptians during the
> time of Moses.  According to contemporary sources, the dough was baked in
> covered clay pots.  A potter friend of mine made me some pots. I recently
> received a shipment of sourdough yeast from Giza, Egypt, and I picked up
> some flour which is alleged to have been made from wheat grown from seeds
> found in King Tutenkamun's tomb.

Sounds interesting. Are you getting the flour already ground? If not,
how
are you going to do that? If so, how long will it have been sitting as
flour before being used?

> I plan on baking the bread at Pennsic.  If all goes well, and it is accepted
> by the editors, these experiments will form the basis for a future article
> in Tournaments Illuminated.

I would love to have this article, or a version of it, for the
Florilegium.
I accept updates, so this would be one way to get it out to a smaller
audience, and perhaps get some useful comments, before publishing it in
TI.

> One of the projected "baking days" is August 14.  That way, if it is edible,
> I can send a loaf to the Potluck Supper for everyone's critique.

I will be putting this on my things to look for calender.

Anyone else doing some on-site bread baking/iron smelting/pizza baking
at Pennsic? Hands-on, period projects are good!

> Clann O'Choda has graciously permitted my family and I to camp with them.
> Therefore, if you are interested in participating in this experiment, I
> invite you to please stop by the O'Choda encampment.  By then I should know
> a bit more about when we will be baking this type of bread.
>
> I understand O'Choda has its tradional site near the solar showers.

Thank you for the directions to the site. With just the name it is
sometimes difficult to find a group among the many at Pennsic.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net