[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Tue Jul 17 11:06:18 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/17/01 1:31:46 PM, troy at asan.com writes:

> I confess that
>about 95% of all the times I have discussed allergies with people before
>feast service has been less than an hour before service,

And that is  why  we even have these problems.  It's my allergy: therefore
it's my problem. I would not leave it to the cooks to work their way around
my allergy. If I want personal service, I go to a resturaunt and order what I
can have ( at an increased fee, I add). If I am at an event, I read the menu,
ask the cook about specific allergy related ingredients, and eat what I can.
NEVER have I asked for something different than what is already on the menu.

Allergies:
(anaphylaxis with shrimp_ I can't even be in the room if it is boiling)
Lactose intolerant, sulfite responsive, no almonds ( I can eat exactly three
before anaphylaxis), and raw cherries, and Iodized products.

This is whay I eat medievallyin theory all the time. Except for the almond
allergy, the non processed foods are safer. It is also why you can find me in
the kitchen at most events....I know what goes into the food.

Andrea