[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Bread Baking

Lord Boroghul Khara boroghul at narn.pecan-tree.com
Tue Jul 17 13:16:17 PDT 2001

Following the Ed Wood Book?

I've tried a couple of sourdough cultures with the Kamut flour, in my
experience they need a lot of babysitting, especially at hom ein Atlantia.
Thankfully, the little yeastie beasties seem to love Cooper's Lake.  I've
made a sourdough culture for every Atlantian reign for the last 4 years now.
The Stephen and Niobe culture, which was started at Pennsic that year is
probably the most active of the lot.  When I take it out of the fridge to
wake it back up, it all but climbs out of the mason jar!

The Kamut has a nice flavor, but in my experience, is as stubborn as a two
year old child at times.  I had to watch over it like a hawk... and I think
watching grass grow, or paint peel has got to be more exciting than waiting
for my Kamut based cultures to decide to wake up.  My Amalric and Kaia
culture started with a blend of Kamut, Spelt and whole wheat.  I'm thinking
of trying another combined flour culture..except feeding it is a pain when
trying to keep the proportions the same.  I live with my sister, who
frequently dips into my flour bins (without looking sometimes) to make
gravies or fried chicken coatings.

Minus the shattering of one of my clay pots at an Emerald Joust event a few
years ago, the bread came out (again, from my experience.. your mileage may
vary) tasty, but a little dense.

I am really starting to regret not being able to go to Pennsic this year.
I'm going to miss out on too much of the fun..

Anyone care to drop off leftovers or a care package in Atlantia on their way
home?

Boroghul