[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Wed Jul 18 07:46:31 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/17/01 2:54:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net writes:

<<
 Is it my imagination, or is this the equivalent of 'don't eat feasts if you
have an allergy?

 Perhaps those on the list who are in food service can clarify this for me:
 but my brothers and mother who have all been in food service-- not to mention
 kitchen helpers that come from food service and don't know not to use the
same
 ladle in two different types of soup, then put it in the first soup--
 indicate to me that people expect a much higher level of protection from
 potential allergens in SCA feasts than they get in restaurants.

 If someone was that afraid  of contact with a potential allergen, I would say
 "Since I have some of that stuff in my kitchen at home, and some of this
 food was cooked in my home,
 here's your money back. You shouldn't eat this meal, a speck of that stuff
 might have been in the air when I was preparing it, even though all
 reasonable precautions have been taken."

 -- Jadwiga, who resents being called a liar even in the collective. >>

Okay, I'll speak up. I've been trying not too, however... I think this
deserves an answer.

A lot of people in kitchens, restaurants and food service in general, take
short cuts. We're not supposed to, but a lot of people think " where's the
harm?" I don't personally because I'm a bit anal about safety and sanitation.
And, not to sound prejudice, I'm really not, most of the staff behind  the
scenes these days do not speak English and have never taken a sanitation
course. They do things at where ever they work, the same wayt they do things
at home. Double dipping ladles, spoons, fingers. Not washing cutting boards
between raw meat and veggies.  These things seem inconsequetial to them, but
are cross contamination in a BIG way. So asking someone if they handled the
food at all, is a valid question. Most places have one main chef who does
most of the final put together, and a bunch of people chopping veggies and
otherwise doing prep.

We're not saying thet you're a liar, we're saying that there are very
specific questions that need to be asked. I am uncapable of digestic meat
with blood in it. I vomit if it's not really thoroughly charred. I can't tell
you the number of times I've had to be a pain in the butt and send stuff back
to be re-cooked.

As for saying don't eat feasts, no. Just be aware of what's being served. If
it's something you can't eat, don't it eat, even in small quantities. Pay
attention and really READ the liss of ingredients. If you don't know what it
is, ask. Most people are more than happy to show off their knowledge of
cooking.(I'm famous for it.)*grin*

Giving people their money back, hmmm.... Well, I think if they know they have
an allergy, and have signed up for feast, then they are responsible enough to
take the chances on what's being served and should be prepared to take
whatever steps are necessary to prevent a reaction. Even if it means not
eating. Feasts are more about comeradery than food, I think. Not that I'm
belittling the importance of food. I love food, and I love showing off.

So that's my opinion. I'll shut up now.

Finnebhir