[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 18 08:17:01 PDT 2001

Druighad at aol.com wrote:

> Also, be aware that people have very different allergies. My nephew is highly
> allegic to red food dye. ALL red food dye. He can't even eat red fruits and
> veggies. The reaction is hyper activity followed by extreme blood sugar loss.
> But he's not diabetic. Take a five year old, completely overdose them on
> sugar, and let them run around for 24 hours. See how cranky they get when
> they run out of energy? That's the kind of thing that happens. But reverse
> metabolism is part and parcel of it. Coffee calms him down.

Since I'm not a doctor, you will presumably take this with a grain of
salt, but this sounds like what somebody has probably called a classic
case of mild ADD (has anybody noticed that there are no longer any
hyperactive children on the planet, only ADD ones?) that the Feingold
Association would be interested in. But then it also sounds like this
child's parents have already determined the dietary causes, so... .

I have huge scads of Feingold Association literature, now useless to me
as most of my own kid's alleged ADD symptoms were magically "cured" when
he was moved into another class and away from perhaps three other kids
who'd been tormenting him right under his teacher's nose. Aikido was
helpful to him, too.

> Just be aware that people may need to know what food dyes are in the feast
> dishes as well. You might be suprised what people are allergic to.

Well, that should be in the ingredients list, shouldn't it?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com