[Sca-cooks] Strawberries- was Plum loco

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 08:56:50 PDT 2001

--- Druighad at aol.com wrote:

Can you give me a few
> reasons why they just
> didn't thrive? Well lighted, well watered, not much
> wind. Help?
>
> Finnebhir

I've never grown strawberries myself, but everyone
I've seen grow them has them in a field specificly
dedicated to that purpose. I'm unaware of any variety
that is designed for growing in pots (not saying there
aren't any, just that I don't know of any) simply
because they seem to require a wide shallow area for
their roots to spread out. Chances are, you've simply
got them too crowded. Also, most of them seem to have
a two year growing cycle- unless you pick up certain
varietals, it will be two years before you get any
fruit.

But, as I say, I know very little about them (other
than the small ones always taste better) and I suspect
your best bet would be to run a search on the 'Net
about them.

Phlip