[Sca-cooks] OT: Anyone going to Great Northeastern War?

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Jul 18 09:28:13 PDT 2001

I am going to be there ;-)

I have no clue, I havent been to one before [taking advantage to
my lord Husband's hotel room...he is in the navy and his boat is
in the shipyard in Portsmouth so I am planning on spending friday
night and saturday night in a hotel room. They don't get stuck in
barracks anymore-they rented the crew hotel rooms!]

I plan on taking 5 or 6 rounds of beef jerky [made from slabs of
eye of the round] a bag of mixed cut veggies, some grapes fr Rob,
and plenty of frozen water bottles to keep the cooler cold and
melt into drinking water. Maybe one or 2 bottles of frozen iced
tea for the heck of it. I may make some bread or muffins, I have
a new low carb baking mix designed to be mixed with ground nut
flour that I am beta-testing and it has a recipe for chocolate
torta on the back screaming for me to try it out ;-)]

Might I suggest that brodo of chickpeas, that 'dish of lentils'
from the miscellaney [with the eggs cooked on top], aquapatys,
the spinach sauteed in sesame oil, many of the eggplant dishes
have ingredients that don't take refrigeration? As anybody but
Marian on the list can tell you, eggs will actually keep very
nicely for the 3 or so days without being refrigerated as long as
you keep them out of the sun [ever dug a 'cooling pit' in the
corner of your tent? Make it big enough to put a milk crate in
and cover with a board and you can keep things at about 7-10
degrees cooler than ambient temperature...]

Not particularly period, but canned stuff is good - and they have
canned beef, turkey, ham, chicken, tuna, salmon and spam ;-)

make salmon or chicken croquettes - IIRC there was a recipe on
the list last fall that was essentially just like crabcakes or
croquettes. flaked meat, crumbs of bread, spices and egg for
binding. They cook up nicely in skillet over fire pit.

I will be wearing either imitation egyptian [aba in mavy blue
with nonmetallic gold trim and dragonflies as 'frogs' over a
white caftan] or roman [white stolla, white palla and purple
tunica, or a moss green tunica or maybe an orange silk tunica.]

margali
[just posting off the top of my mind. I can try to think of more
but Stefan and Cariadoc probably have way more than I can
remember on their sites under 'camping without a cooler' or some
title like that. ;-)]

~~~~~
The Quote Starts Here:
Quoth Brighid:
Is anyone on the Cook's list going to be at the great
Northeastern War, in
Maine this coming weekend?  Emrys and I decided impulsively to
go.