[Sca-cooks] Article: Feasting with Food Allergies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 18 10:29:15 PDT 2001

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> > Actually, my cousin had the same reaction to food colorings. After months
> > of isolation diets, turned out she's allergic. Me, I specifically can't
> > eat red food dye. Gives me panic attacks in quantity, in smaller amounts
> > it makes me very edgy, nervous, paranoid, claustrophobic, anxious, and
> > emotionally fragile. So, no foods with red food coloring, and there are a
> > lot more than you'd ordinarily think.
>
> Yes, but I'm wierded out by the notion that red food colorings, which I
> believed were synthetic products, are actually naturally present in red
> foods and vegetables. Does anybody know which red food colorings these
> are?
> -- Jadwiga

Offhand, and by chemical name, no, but many of the commercial food dyes
(such as you buy for Easter eggs, cakes and such, not a whacking great
bucket of Red Dye #2) are still known in some places as vegetable dyes,
presumably because of their derivation and to [theoretically] assure the
end user that they're non-toxic for most people.

I mean, look at beets. I don't imagine a lot of processing would be
required to turn beet juice into plain ol' red coloring.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com