[Sca-cooks] Pennsic food

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:29:48 PDT 2001

If you want to do soups and stews I recommend freezing them.  You
could also buy very large canned soup/stews and then do what my
mother called 'doctoring them up' which meant adding spices, more
veggies, assorted pasta other stuff to make it taste better or be
more filling.

If you are not trying to do all period cooking you could also have a
pasta night.

I usually pack some cans of broth and mixed vegetables and other
stuff so that the night we get the down pour of rain I can make a
quick hot soup for people in the camp which consists of me opening a
bunch of cans and pouring them into a stock pot and adding some
seasoning and any meat I have frozen in the cooler and some kind of
pasta.

I've never canned meat before but I've heard it's tricky.  Although
I've also heard people say home canning is dangerous and tricky, and
ate my mothers canned food for 25 years and never got sick.

	Angeline