growing strawberries, was [Sca-cooks] Plum loco

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Thu Jul 19 05:01:00 PDT 2001

In a message dated 7/18/01 1:41:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
letrada at yahoo.com writes:

<< How hot did the balcony get?  I had a south-facing balcony
 for many years and never had much luck with anything
 because it would all go heat dormant by mid-summer.  And
 this was in Seattle!  70 degrees outside, but 90 on the
 balcony; the roof over the balcony trapped all the heat.
 If the whole plant just sat there and didn't grow or have
 new leaves, this may be your problem.

 Also, bloom booster or fuschia food will encourage potted
 plants to bloom and therefore have fruit.  If the plants
 grew but you didn't get any fruit, this might help.

The air temp stayed about the same as at ground level. The plants got new
leaves  and flowers. They also started growing fruit. They were a Fragaria
Everbearing strawberry. I didn't give them any food though, so maybe that was
the problem.  I do think that maybe they were planted too close together,
since the roots were a little tangled looking.

Finnebhir